Mr Freedman - Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Mr Freedman▼
- Hip Procedures▼
- Knee Procedures▼
- Your Consultation▼
- Allied Health Directory
- Hip Surgery – Post op Rehab Instructions/Protocol:
- Preferred Hospitals
- Orthopaedic Injuries
- Contact Us
Mr Freedman is a Melbourne and Internationally-trained Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with sub-specialist interest in Minimally Invasive Hip and Knee replacement, Joint Preservation Surgery, and Hip & Knee Arthroscopy.
● Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (FaOrthA)
● Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
● Full UK General Medical Council (GMC) Registration
● United States Medical Licensure (ECFMG)
● Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery – MBBS (University of Melbourne)
● 2014: European Federation of Orthopaedics & Trauma (EFORT) Fellowship. Paris, France. With Dr Frederic Laude.
● 2013: Young Adult Hip Surgery Fellowship with Professor Damian Griffin, University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire, UK
● 2008-2012: Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Orthopaedic Surgery Training Program
● 2006-2007: Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Basic Surgical Training (BST) program.
● 2004: Harvard Orthopaedics Research Fellowship -Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
● 1997-2002: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), The University of Melbourne School of Medicine, Melbourne Australia.
● 2001: Harvard Medical School – Emergency Medicine. Massachusetts General Hospital, USA (Honours)
Honours and Awards:
● EFORT European Orthopaedic and Trauma Fellowship Scholarship (2013)
● International Hip Fellowship Scholarship – Arthritis Australia (2013)
● Honorary Clinical Lecturer – University of Warwick, UK (2013)
● Honorary Clinical Tutor – University of Melbourne School of Medicine (2011)
● David Sloan prize – Best Paper at the SWAN XII Trauma Conference. (Sydney, Australia)
● Finalist – American College of Surgeons Resident Research Prize Competition, MA. (2004)
● Finalist – Rosengarten Prize Research Competition. The Alfred Hospital, Department of Surgery (2004)
● Lorna Stirling Prize – University of Melbourne
● Edgar Allan Rouse Prize in Medicine – University of Melbourne
● College Colours – Outstanding Sport Achievement (Table Tennis)
Research & Publications:
● Kossmann T, Freedman I and Morganti-Kossmann C. Chapter Title: Spinal Trauma in Neurology and Clinical Neuroscience. Mosby Elsevier, 2007, Philadelphia, PA USA. ISBN-13: 978-0-323-03354-1; ISBN- 10: 0-323-03354-7
● Knowles B, Freedman I, Malham G and Kossmann T. Chapter Title: A Minimally Invasive Open Approach for Reconstruction of the Anterior Column of the Thoracic and Lumbar Spine in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery – A Surgical Manual Second Edition. Springer-Verlag, 2006, Berlin Heidelberg. ISBN: 3-540- 21347-3
● Kossmann T and Freedman I. Chapter Title: Acute Care Surgery: Australia in Acute Care Surgery – Principles and Practice. Springer, 2007, New York NY. ISBN 10: 0-387-34470-5, ISBN 13: 978-0-387- 34470-6.
● Freedman I, Kossmann T. Chapter: The Mangled Limb and Fasciotomy in the Definitive Surgical Trauma Care (DSTC) Course Manual for the Royal Australasian College of Surgeon’s Definitive Surgical Trauma Care course. Editorial Board: Scott D’ Amours (Deputy Director, Trauma Department Liverpool Hospital), Peter Danne (Chairman, RACS Trauma Committee), Michael Sugrue (Director, Trauma Department, Liverpool Hospital, Sydney). In press.
● Freedman I, Kossmann T. Adaptation of Chapter: The Mangled Limb and Fasciotomy for a next textbook titled “Trauma Care – Decision Making and Surgical Techniques”. Editor-in-chief: Scott D’Amours (Deputy Director, Trauma Department, Liverpool Hospital, Sydney).
● Freedman I, van Gelderen D, Cooper DJ, Fitzgerald M, Malham G, Rosenfeld JV, Varma D, Kossmann T. Cervical spine assessment in the unconscious trauma patient: a major trauma service’s experience with passive flexion-extension radiography. J Trauma. 2005 Jun;58(6):1183-8.
● Bhattacharyya T, Seng K, Nassif NA, Freedman I. Knee pain after tibial nailing: the role of nail prominence. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006 Aug;449:303-7.
● Atkin C, Freedman I, Rosenfeld JV, Fitzgerald M, Kossmann T. The Evolution of an Integrated State Trauma System in Victoria, Australia. Injury. 2005 Nov;36(11):1277-87
● Kossmann T, Trease L, Freedman I, Malham G. Damage control surgery for spine trauma. Injury. 2004 Jul;35(7):661-70.
● Salerno S, Allard B, Waugh J, Cambell W, Freedman I, Kossmann T. Endoluminal stenting of a common carotid artery pseudoaneurysm due to blunt trauma. Injury Extra. 2004.
● Freedman I, Balakumar J, Doig S. Severe Heteretropic Ossification in a Buns Patient with Femoral Shaft Fracture. Poster Abstract published in ANZ Journal of Surgery – May 2006.
● Excellent inter-observer reliability of an arthroscopic hip mapping system. Presented at: International Society for Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA) Annual Meeting. Munich 2013.
● Long Term Follow Up of a Modular, Hydroxyapatite Proximally Coated Femoral Stem.
● American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Meeting. San Diego, 2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Meeting. Adelaide Australia, 2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Registrars Association Meeting. South Australia, 2011
● Enhanced rehabilitation after total knee replacement with local anaesthetic infiltration and transdermal fentanyl patches.
● Australian Orthopaedic Asssociation (AOA) Meeting. Adelaide Australia, 2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Registrars Association Meeting. South Australia, 2011
● Cervical Spine Assessment in the Unconscious Trauma Patient – A Major Trauma Service’s Experience with Passive Flexion-Extension Radiography.
● Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress (ASC). Melbourne, 2004.
● Massachusetts Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting. Massachusetts, USA, 2004.
● SWAN XII Trauma Conference, Sydney 2004. (Received Prize for BEST PAPER at this conference)
● Functional Outcomes Following Surgery for Disruptions of the Pelvic Ring. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 75th Annual Scientific Congress (ASC) – Sydney, Australia May 2006.
● Endoscopic Bursectomy for Septic Prepatellar Bursitis.Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Meeting. Adelaide Australia, 2011
● Application of OP-1 (BMP-7) in Treatment of Allograft Fractures and Host-Allograft Non-Unions. 73rd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), 2006. (Poster)
● Severe Heterotropic Ossification in a Burns Patient with Femoral Shaft Fracture. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress (ASC) 2006, Sydney Australia. (Poster)
Professional Conferences and Meetings Attended:
● American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Conference, Las Vegas 2015
● International Society for Hip Arthroscopy Annual Meeting. Munich 2013
● European Hip Arthroscopy Meetign. Brussels, 2013
● Great Debate – Imperial College, London 2013
● Football Medicine Strategies. Isokinetic, London 2013
● Australian Hand Surgery Society Review Course – 2012
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Annual Conferences 2008 – 2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Registrars Association Conferences 2008-2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Victorian Regional Branch Clinical Meetings 2007-2011.
● Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress (ASC). Sydney, 2006. (Paper Podium Presentation and separate Poster presentation)
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Victorian Regional Branch Clinical Meeting: 31/03/06
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Victorian Regional Branch Clinical Meeting: 18/11/05.
● American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (AOFAS) 21st Annual Meeting. 2005. Boston MA, USA.
● 2nd International Congress on Total Ankle Replacement and Ankle Arthritis. 2005. Boston, USA
● Boston Shoulder and Sports Symposium, 2005.
● American College of Surgeons Massachusetts Chapter 51st Annual Meeting 2004. Dedham, MA USA. (Presented a paper)
● SWAN XII Trauma Conference. Department of Trauma, Liverpool Hospital, NSW. 2004. (Best Paper Award.
● Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress . Melbourne, 2004. (Presented a paper).
● AMIS Direct Anterior Total Hip Replacement Training Program (Medacta). Tours, France 2013
● AO Course – Principles in Operative Fracture Management. Sydney, Australia. February 2006.
● Zimmer Resident Trauma Course. Pasadena, CA, USA. November 2005.
● Mobile Mini C-Arm Image Intensifier (GE OEC 6800) Operator License. Northern Hospital, March 2007.
● Arthroplasty: Surgical Insights & Skills (Depuy) 2011.
● Depuy Foot and Ankle Course 2011
● Advanced Trauma Bioskills (Zimmer) 2011.
● Proximal Femur Fractures – Concepts for Fracture Fixation. (Synthes). May 2007.
● Metal-On-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty Seminar with A/Prof Steven MacDonald. (Depuy) April 2007.
● Orthobiologics Seminar with Dr Ashish Diwan. (Stryker) March 2007.
● Ligament Augmentation and Reconstruction with Prof J P Laboureau. (Corin) February 2007.
● Ceramic Articulation in Ankle and Knee Arthroplasty. (Endotec Australia) July 2006.
● Distal Radius Cadaver Workshop with Mr Greg Bain. (Hand Innovations) June 2006.
● Engineering Principles in Joint Replacement Seminar. (Stryker) March 2006
● Intramedullary Nailing Workshop – Femoral and Tibia Systems. (Smith & Nephew) March 2006
● Advances in Fixation of Distal Radius Fractures Cadaver Workshop. (Trimed) February 2005.
Medical Administration as Office Bearer:
● 2007: President – Northern Hospital – Resident Medical Officers’ (RMO) Society
● 1999-2002: Secretary – The University of Melbourne Medical Student Society.
● 2013: Clinical Lecturer – University of Warwick, UK
● 2011: Clinical Lecturer & Tutor – University of Melbourne School of Medicine
● 2007-2011: Medical Student Orthopaedic Teaching – (tutorials, didactic lectures, clinics.
● 2006: Lecture Seminar Series on Shoulder Anatomy and Shoulder Biomechanics to visiting group of top-ranked medical students from around the country
● 2007-2011: Orthopaedic lectures to nurses and other allied health. Professional Development and Learning Program, Western Hospital.
● 2006: Tutorials and Lectures to interns/other junior doctors – HMO Education Program Sunshine Hospital
● Arthritis Victoria – National Arthritis Weeks
● The Cancer Council of Victoria – Relay for Life.
● Orthopaedic Outreach (Various public awareness and fundraising initiatives).
● Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Medical Careers Expo. (Mentorship to medical students and junior doctors interested in a surgical career).
● Certified Fitness Instructor VICFIT (Victorian Council on Fitness and General Health)
● United States Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certified.
● Open Water Diving Certification