Mr Freedman - Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Mr Freedman▼
- Hip Procedures▼
- Knee Procedures▼
- Your Consultation▼
- Allied Health Directory
- Hip Surgery – Post op Rehab Instructions/Protocol:
- Preferred Hospitals
- Orthopaedic Injuries
- Contact Us
Mr Ilan Freedman is an Australian and Internationally-trained Orthopaedic Surgeon with sub-specialist interest in:
Direct Anterior Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement, Patient-Specific Knee Replacement, Patient-Specific Partial Knee Replacement, Joint Preservation Surgery, Hip & Knee Arthroscopy and Orthopaedic Trauma. Mr Freedman is one the best trained hip surgeons in Melbourne.
Mr Freedman trained as an Orthopaedic Surgeon in Melbourne, Australia and then received two prestigious scholarships to complete two international hip surgery fellowships in the UK and Paris.
On these international surgery fellowship he trained under some of the best hip surgeons in Europe with Professor Damian Griffin (UK) and Dr Frederic Laude (Clinique du Sport, Paris).
Professor Griffin is a world expert hip arthroscopy surgeon and Dr Laude is a famous french orthopaedic surgeon who developed the minimally invasive Anterior Approach for total hip replacement.
Mr Freedman also maintains close connections with other leading international hip and knee orthopaedic surgeons in Europe and the United States to collaborate, discuss cases and exchange ideas and experience.
Mr Freedman has amassed extensive specialist training and experience and is proud to provide access to the very latest international minimally invasive surgical techniques to his patients in Australia. We aim to offer a truly world class service and the highest standard in patient care and excellent communication.
● Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (FaOrthA)
● Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
● Full UK General Medical Council (GMC) Registration
● United States Medical Licensure (ECFMG)
● Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery – MBBS (University of Melbourne)
● 2015: Anterior Hip Revision Masterclass (Paris, France & Basel, Switzerland).
● 2014: European Federation of Orthopaedics & Trauma (EFORT) Hip Surgery Fellowship. Paris, France. Clinique du Sport, Paris. Supervisor: Dr Frederic Laude.
● 2013: Young Adult Hip Surgery Fellowship with Professor Damian Griffin, University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire, UK
● 2008-2012: Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Orthopaedic Surgery Training Program
● 2006-2007: Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Basic Surgical Training (BST) program.
● 2004: Harvard Orthopaedics Research Fellowship at the famous Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
● 1997-2002: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), The University of Melbourne School of Medicine, Melbourne Australia.
● 2001: Harvard Medical School – Emergency Medicine. Massachusetts General Hospital, USA (Honours)
Honours and Awards:
● EFORT European Orthopaedic and Trauma Fellowship Scholarship (2013)
● International Hip Fellowship Scholarship – Arthritis Australia (2013)
● Honorary Clinical Lecturer – University of Warwick, UK (2013)
● Honorary Clinical Tutor – University of Melbourne School of Medicine (2011)
● David Sloan prize – Best Paper at the SWAN XII Trauma Conference. (Sydney, Australia)
● Finalist – American College of Surgeons Resident Research Prize Competition, MA. (2004)
● Finalist – Rosengarten Prize Research Competition. The Alfred Hospital, Department of Surgery (2004)
● Lorna Stirling Prize – University of Melbourne
● Edgar Allan Rouse Prize in Medicine – University of Melbourne
● College Colours – Outstanding Sport Achievement (Table Tennis)
● Kossmann T, Freedman I and Morganti-Kossmann C. Chapter Title: Spinal Trauma in Neurology and Clinical Neuroscience. Mosby Elsevier, 2007, Philadelphia, PA USA. ISBN-13: 978-0-323-03354-1; ISBN- 10: 0-323-03354-7
● Knowles B, Freedman I, Malham G and Kossmann T. Chapter Title: A Minimally Invasive Open Approach for Reconstruction of the Anterior Column of the Thoracic and Lumbar Spine in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery – A Surgical Manual Second Edition. Springer-Verlag, 2006, Berlin Heidelberg. ISBN: 3-540- 21347-3
● Kossmann T and Freedman I. Chapter Title: Acute Care Surgery: Australia in Acute Care Surgery – Principles and Practice. Springer, 2007, New York NY. ISBN 10: 0-387-34470-5, ISBN 13: 978-0-387- 34470-6.
● Freedman I, Kossmann T. Chapter: The Mangled Limb and Fasciotomy in the Definitive Surgical Trauma Care (DSTC) Course Manual for the Royal Australasian College of Surgeon’s Definitive Surgical Trauma Care course. Editorial Board: Scott D’ Amours (Deputy Director, Trauma Department Liverpool Hospital), Peter Danne (Chairman, RACS Trauma Committee), Michael Sugrue (Director, Trauma Department, Liverpool Hospital, Sydney). In press.
● Freedman I, Kossmann T. Adaptation of Chapter: The Mangled Limb and Fasciotomy for a next textbook titled “Trauma Care – Decision Making and Surgical Techniques”. Editor-in-chief: Scott D’Amours (Deputy Director, Trauma Department, Liverpool Hospital, Sydney).
● Freedman I, van Gelderen D, Cooper DJ, Fitzgerald M, Malham G, Rosenfeld JV, Varma D, Kossmann T. Cervical spine assessment in the unconscious trauma patient: a major trauma service’s experience with passive flexion-extension radiography. J Trauma. 2005 Jun;58(6):1183-8.
● Bhattacharyya T, Seng K, Nassif NA, Freedman I. Knee pain after tibial nailing: the role of nail prominence. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006 Aug;449:303-7.
● Atkin C, Freedman I, Rosenfeld JV, Fitzgerald M, Kossmann T. The Evolution of an Integrated State Trauma System in Victoria, Australia. Injury. 2005 Nov;36(11):1277-87
● Kossmann T, Trease L, Freedman I, Malham G. Damage control surgery for spine trauma. Injury. 2004 Jul;35(7):661-70.
● Salerno S, Allard B, Waugh J, Cambell W, Freedman I, Kossmann T. Endoluminal stenting of a common carotid artery pseudoaneurysm due to blunt trauma. Injury Extra. 2004.
● Freedman I, Balakumar J, Doig S. Severe Heteretropic Ossification in a Buns Patient with Femoral Shaft Fracture. Poster Abstract published in ANZ Journal of Surgery – May 2006.
● Excellent inter-observer reliability of an arthroscopic hip mapping system. Presented at: International Society for Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA) Annual Meeting. Munich 2013.
● Long Term Follow Up of a Modular, Hydroxyapatite Proximally Coated Femoral Stem.
● American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Meeting. San Diego, 2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Meeting. Adelaide Australia, 2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Registrars Association Meeting. South Australia, 2011
● Enhanced rehabilitation after total knee replacement with local anaesthetic infiltration and transdermal fentanyl patches.
● Australian Orthopaedic Asssociation (AOA) Meeting. Adelaide Australia, 2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Registrars Association Meeting. South Australia, 2011
● Cervical Spine Assessment in the Unconscious Trauma Patient – A Major Trauma Service’s Experience with Passive Flexion-Extension Radiography.
● Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress (ASC). Melbourne, 2004.
● Massachusetts Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting. Massachusetts, USA, 2004.
● SWAN XII Trauma Conference, Sydney 2004. (Received Prize for BEST PAPER at this conference)
● Functional Outcomes Following Surgery for Disruptions of the Pelvic Ring. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 75th Annual Scientific Congress (ASC) – Sydney, Australia May 2006.
● Endoscopic Bursectomy for Septic Prepatellar Bursitis.Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Meeting. Adelaide Australia, 2011
● Application of OP-1 (BMP-7) in Treatment of Allograft Fractures and Host-Allograft Non-Unions. 73rd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), 2006. (Poster)
● Severe Heterotropic Ossification in a Burns Patient with Femoral Shaft Fracture. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress (ASC) 2006, Sydney Australia. (Poster)
● American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Conference, New Orleans 2018
● American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Conference, San Diego 2017
● American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Conference, Las Vegas 2015
● International Society for Hip Arthroscopy Annual Meeting. Munich 2013
● European Hip Arthroscopy Meetign. Brussels, 2013
● Great Debate – Imperial College, London 2013
● Football Medicine Strategies. Isokinetic, London 2013
● Australian Hand Surgery Society Review Course – 2012
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Annual Conferences 2008 – 2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Registrars Association Conferences 2008-2011
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Victorian Regional Branch Clinical Meetings 2007-2011.
● Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress (ASC). Sydney, 2006. (Paper Podium Presentation and separate Poster presentation)
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Victorian Regional Branch Clinical Meeting: 31/03/06
● Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Victorian Regional Branch Clinical Meeting: 18/11/05.
● American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (AOFAS) 21st Annual Meeting. 2005. Boston MA, USA.
● 2nd International Congress on Total Ankle Replacement and Ankle Arthritis. 2005. Boston, USA
● Boston Shoulder and Sports Symposium, 2005.
● American College of Surgeons Massachusetts Chapter 51st Annual Meeting 2004. Dedham, MA USA. (Presented a paper)
● SWAN XII Trauma Conference. Department of Trauma, Liverpool Hospital, NSW. 2004. (Best Paper Award.
● Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress . Melbourne, 2004. (Presented a paper).
● AMIS Direct Anterior Total Hip Replacement Training Program (Medacta). Tours, France 2013
● AO Course – Principles in Operative Fracture Management. Sydney, Australia. February 2006.
● Zimmer Resident Trauma Course. Pasadena, CA, USA. November 2005.
● Mobile Mini C-Arm Image Intensifier (GE OEC 6800) Operator License. Northern Hospital, March 2007.
● Arthroplasty: Surgical Insights & Skills (Depuy) 2011.
● Depuy Foot and Ankle Course 2011
● Advanced Trauma Bioskills (Zimmer) 2011.
● Proximal Femur Fractures – Concepts for Fracture Fixation. (Synthes). May 2007.
● Metal-On-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty Seminar with A/Prof Steven MacDonald. (Depuy) April 2007.
● Orthobiologics Seminar with Dr Ashish Diwan. (Stryker) March 2007.
● Ligament Augmentation and Reconstruction with Prof J P Laboureau. (Corin) February 2007.
● Ceramic Articulation in Ankle and Knee Arthroplasty. (Endotec Australia) July 2006.
● Distal Radius Cadaver Workshop with Mr Greg Bain. (Hand Innovations) June 2006.
● Engineering Principles in Joint Replacement Seminar. (Stryker) March 2006
● Intramedullary Nailing Workshop – Femoral and Tibia Systems. (Smith & Nephew) March 2006
● Advances in Fixation of Distal Radius Fractures Cadaver Workshop. (Trimed) February 2005.
● 2007: President – Northern Hospital – Resident Medical Officers’ (RMO) Society
● 1999-2002: Secretary – The University of Melbourne Medical Student Society.
● 2015-2017: Educator, Anterior Hip Replacement and Patient-Specific Knee Replacement
● 2013: Clinical Lecturer – University of Warwick, UK
● 2011: Clinical Lecturer & Tutor – University of Melbourne School of Medicine
● 2007-2011: Medical Student Orthopaedic Teaching – (tutorials, didactic lectures, clinics.
● 2006: Lecture Seminar Series on Shoulder Anatomy and Shoulder Biomechanics to visiting group of top-ranked medical students from around the country
● 2007-2011: Orthopaedic lectures to nurses and other allied health. Professional Development and Learning Program, Western Hospital.
● 2006: Tutorials and Lectures to interns/other junior doctors – HMO Education Program Sunshine Hospital
● Arthritis Victoria – National Arthritis Weeks
● The Cancer Council of Victoria – Relay for Life.
● Orthopaedic Outreach (Various public awareness and fundraising initiatives).
● Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Medical Careers Expo. (Mentorship to medical students and junior doctors interested in a surgical career).
● Certified Fitness Instructor VICFIT (Victorian Council on Fitness and General Health)
● United States Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certified.
● Open Water Diving Certification